Friday, February 11, 2011

Scattered Fire: Shotgun Sorceress

The last book club hosted by Dirty Sexy Books passed without a comment by me, but not because I didn't read the book. The library gave up Shotgun Sorceress by Lucy A. Snyder just in time. The problem was I didn't really have anything to say.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, but I didn't dislike it enough to refuse the second. Unfortunately, most of my issues with the first book remained -- I found the love interest extremely creepy, the character more mouthy than witty, and the book lurched about awkwardly. The plot would spin wheels for pages, then zoom off in a completely new direction, then spin some more. The main characters mostly reacted to the bad guy's actions with very little agency. For goodness sake, our hero Jessie spends a great deal of the second half of the book tied up by her friends! You can't get much less action that. (OK, she goes on astral journeys while tied up. But I was still croggled).




But there were some interesting ideas and twists, so I didn't mind reading it.  But there wasn't a lot to say. And the author was there, so I felt bad complaining.  B-

No comments: