Friday, January 27, 2012


Renton Library

Today was a very hard day at the library.  First I went with X and N, both of whom had eagerly anticipated items on hold. X is trying out the first Harry Dresden novel, and Nicky had found a new Pokemon DVD in the catalog.  I had a small stack of Cybils finalists waiting for me, so we got in, grabbed our holds, and got out.

BUT. That evening, on the way home from an errand, I remembered that I needed the book club book, so I dropped by, solo, to look for it on the library's shelves. They had it in audio form in their nifty Play & Go format -- basically they hand you an MP player with the book on it and off you go. Neat!  I also ordered the dead tree version for my sister.  And then I turned to go out the door, when a powerful gravitational force pulled me towards the PICK ME display out front.  I tried to explain to the Force about the TBR Dare, that I was not checking out new books, but the copies began singing and dancing. Mike Shephard's new Kris Longknife.  A Salman Rusdie. A nonfiction book about Alaskan fishing. All dangerous sirens, cajoling and seducing me, and me without my underage body guards. With a heroic effort, I threw myself out the door and plunged home, victorious but really sad about it.

Thank goodness for the Cybils.
  • Dear Hot Dog, Mordicai Gerstein.  Cybils poetry book.
  • Nursery Rhyme Comics, Cybils middle grade graphic novel
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way By Land, Sea, and Air, Steward Ross. Cybils nonfiction.
  • Beekeeper's Apprentice, Laurie King.  Audio.
This brings me to a total of 38 items out on my card, which includes a few CDs.  One is overdue, but I'm almost done.  Everything fits neatly in my library bookshelf.  I'll go share my Library Loot at the event co-hosted by Claire from the Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader, where all the library addicts compare their treasures.

1 comment:

kmitcham said...

stay strong, one day at a time