Saturday, January 4, 2014

Raising the Stakes On the Impossible

I've tried twice, and failed twice, but this year is going to be my year! At least I hope so, since I gather that CB, the host of the TBR Triple Dog Dare is retiring after this year.  That's the excuse for recklessly breezing past Triple Dare to go straight for the high-stakes Triple DOG Dare, a dare to refrain from buying or obtaining new books for the first three months of the year. Several of those months have the legal maximum of 31 days, you know.

I've already walked past (well, was dragged by my nephew past) an enticing street library, and made a solo trip to the library where I checked out my holds and shut down my library card before looking over the QuickPicks for adults and children. So far so good. I feel strong! (The fact that I'm writing this on the 2nd day of the year is not lost to me, but I'm getting my morale up.)

Also luckily for me, you can set your own exceptions. So I can reserve anything I need for the Cybils Finalist Challenge, although to stay in the spirit of things I'm going to concentrate on picture books for the first few months. I'll also keep rotating a book from my TBR list and from the 2012 Best of the Best Lists in my reading piles. And my Reading My Library Quest continues, but I'm about to move into non-fiction picture books so again that works with the spirit of things. I think I actually own most of the next few book club books, but again those would be exemptions.
  1. Paradise, Toni Morrison
  2. Conspiracy, Lindsey Buroker
  3. Unspoken, Sarah Rees Brennan. OK, this is a bit of a cheat since it's a reread, but I read part on my NOOK, and that's an old, unread TBR book.
  4. Forbidden Rose, Joanna Bourne
  5. Untold, Sarah Rees Brennan
  6. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
  7. The King's Name, Jo Walton
  8. The Second Spy, Jacqueline West
  9. Fierce Reads Anthology (Tor.com) NOOK
  10. Attitude, Robin Stevenson
  11. Shadows, Robin McKinley
  12. Almost a Bride, Patricia McLinn NOOK
  13. Who Stole Grandma's Million Dollar Pumpkin Pie, Martha Freeman
  14. The Robe of Skulls, Vivian France
  15. The Prize in the Game, Jo Walton
  16. Welcome to the Ark, Stephanie Tolan
  17. Thousand Pieces of Gold, Ruthanne Lum McCunn
  18. Love Bites (My Sister the Vampire), Sienna Mercer
  19. The Dragon and the George, Gordon R. Dickson
  20. Keep Me Forever, Marlene Darcy
  21. Nory Ryan's Song, Patricia Reilly Giff
  22. The Raven Boys, Maggie Stiefvater
These don't really count because they are rereads, but rereads of books I own:
  1. Tarzan of the Apes, Edgar Rice Burroughs
  2. Return of Tarzan Edgar Rice Burroughs
  3. The Great and Terrible Quest, Margaret Lovett
I MADE IT !!!!! I MADE IT!!! SUCCESS!!! VICTORY!!! HOOOOOORAY!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck! So far, so good. I really need to unsubscribe to some "daily deals" newsletters though. ;)