Friday, April 18, 2014

Unleashed At the Library

Image of Renton
badge-4Farewell Triple Dog Dare, Goodbye library restraint. I can now check out all I want, with only the limitations that I have just one life to give to my reading addiction. And only so many hours in a day.

Lalalalalala. I need all the books!

I've actually been to the library twice, and I also managed to purchase a few books. But I am a responsible adult and would never bite off more than my eyes can chew. Does that metaphor work?
Perilous ShieldWhen Thunder ComesRoseThe Gilda Stories
Jack Campbell's The Lost Stars has been out for months, but that pesky challenge kept it from me. No longer! Cybils speaking, I actually got two copies of When Thunder Comes, a paper version and an audio version. Since it's poetry, I want to get a sense of how it sounds. I also grabbed the Cybils SF pick Rose in paper and ebook formats, and have passed on the paper copy to Alexander. I don't even remember why I wanted The Gilda Stories, but something made me put it on my library wish-list, so I demanded it.
GrimMrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong BuddhaWhat the Heart Knows
Another book from my library wish-list is Grim, but there's no surprise that a book of fairy tale retellings is there. I also got the next Mrs. Pollifax, and another book of Cybil's finalist for poetry, What  the Heart Knows.  I know Joyce Sidman more for her science poems, but this looks interesting. Finally, someone mentioned a Rosemary Sutcliff I somehow missed, Blue Remembered Hills. The library has no image for it, though.

Midnight RiotJinxThe Unsung HeroJoey Pigza Loses Control

Digitally, I amassed Jack Gantos's Joey Pigza Loses Control is for my elementary book club, and Alexander will be whipping up a pile of cookies for them tomorrow night while I read it. I am now officially into Ben Aaronovitch's police urban fantasies, so I'll start reading the first one, Midnight Riot. Thanks, Outside of a Book! Jinx is another Cybils choice, and The Unsung Hero is for a Goodreads challenge.

This means I now have *ONLY* 43 things out on my library cards, including ebooks. And an embarrassing number of htem are duplicates --I get the paper copy because paper is beautiful and also download the ebook version because NOOKS are lightweight.  Somehow I keep it straight although even Amazon hasn't mastered technology that keeps my movie ticket bookmarks synched to my reader. 

I'll go share my Library Loot at the event co-hosted by Claire from the Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief where all the library addicts compare their treasures.

Book credits banked: Twelve. Well, minus six, so six.
Perdition, Ann Aguirre
Broken Homes, Ben Aaronovitch
Goblin Emperor, Katherine Addison (twice!)
Balanced on a Blade's Edge, Lindsay Buroker
Night Broken, Patricia Briggs
Blood and Betrayal, Linday Buroker

 (Usually I reward myself by buying a book if my library total is less than my age, but since I can't actually buy anything right now I'm counting up these credits.)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Don't worry. I have about 57 books checked from the library right now. I haven't had a huge haul in a month or so. After the read-a-thon I'll take a bunch back and request a bunch more!