Friday, March 4, 2016

Trickle Down Theory

badge-4This Triple Dog Dare has one month left. One month until I can start browsing library books. I'm really hoping this year that I can hold myself back and give myself a chance to read some of the books I buy as well as the books from the library. I mean, I must want to read them if I buy them, right?

This week I was saved by my two manga series, since I let myself get the next in one each. I figure they are really one long book spread across many covers. So I got two books:
Twin SpicaA Bride's Story

Twin Spica 6, Kou Yaginuma. Follows a scholarship kid at a school for astronauts in Tokyo.

A Bride's Story 7, Kaoru Mori. An arranged marriage between a woman and a boy along the old Spice Road, probably in Afghanistan or somewhere. The boy is beginning to grow into manhood, but the attacks by Russians are distracting.

I also read picked out some books for my nephew, because by golly I'm going to find something he likes to read:
Search for the SphinxYour Life as A Pharaoh in Ancient EgyptAncient Egypt

Search for the Sphinx, Jo Foster.

Your Life as a Pharaoh in Ancient Egypt, Jessica Gunderson

Ancient Egypt, Jane Shuter

Any guesses as to his current (and long lasting) obsession? Any other suggestions matching this obsession? I'm looking for stuff around the 4th grade level.

And a final acquisition, because it was my job to take the leftover books from the Foolscap book-trading table to the used book store. I was trapped in the store for twenty minutes while they calculated my total, so I got a book (actually, I got three books, but two are presents so they don't count and I'm not revealing their titles):

Blood Debt (Vicki Nelson, #5)

Blood Debt, Tanya Huff. Actually, I think I bought this by mistake. I remember reading four of the Fitzroy vampire books, so when I saw this fifth one I thought it was new, but now I'm pretty sure I combined the fourth and fifth books in my mind. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Now it will be easier to avoid reading it before the Triple Dare is over.

Next week I'll have to restock for my Reading My Library Quest, so I'll get to pick out five more books. That will be fun!

I've currently got 28 things out from the library, including ebooks, books for me, and books for the kids (at least four). That's under thirty! This feels very responsible. Next week the restocking of the Library Quest will probably bump me up again.

I'll go look at the Library Loot which is at Silly Little Mischief this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

Library Questing

Miracle at AugustaI finished Miracle at Augusta by James Patterson and Peter de Jonge. It's a book about a senior golfer who has a bit of a mid-to-late-life crisis and gets in various embarrassing situations, but who also reachers out to make new friends, including mentoring a local high school boy with a talent for golf. The miracle at Augusta is ostentible the great round the boy has when they sneak in to play, but it's also about the growth and insight our hero gains along the way. It's probably even better if you have the slightest idea of how golf is played, beyond taking sticks and walking around a field whacking at round things.

I'm still listening to Hild by Nicola Griffith, and it's still lovely and I hope an accurate depiction of Britain way back then. It's nineteen disks long and I'm on #8, so I'll be here for a while, although when I get to disk 12 I have to decide whether to listen to the 30 minutes I accidentally heard before or to skip them.

I also started The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy by Julia Quinn, then I have one more before starting the next stack, which will complete the Large Print books. So I have my eye on Fiction, the next section.

No comments: