Monday, January 23, 2017

Bit of a Nightmare Now

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
I am not happy with my country. Go Marchers!

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading and I'm going to sign up. There's also a version that is kidlit focussed, and as I read a few of those (surprisingly few, actually), I check in with either Teach Mentor Text or UnLeashing Readers for their version.

My pile of books for this week:

Dragon Bones (Hurog, #1)The Dungeoneers (Dungeoneers, #1)Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)

* Dragon Bones, Patricia Briggs. These books are where the "Hurog" in her blogsite comes from, and they are also fun fantasy books with an interesting protagonist

Dungeoneers, John David Anderson. Another of last year's Cybils books! This is a fun meta book about playing D&D, although a bit long for its conceit. The sophomore is willing to try it out, so that's a good sign.

* Dragon Blood, Patricia Briggs. The second Hurog book is even better than the first, as the stakes are raised and the protagonist is more self aware.

(* Books I started this week.)


I started but didn't finish:
Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)

Hunting Grounds, Patricia Briggs.

Bookmarks moved in several books:

The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)A Teaspoon of Earth and SeaA Shocking Delight (Company of Rogues, #15)

The Sea Without a Shore, David Drake. And there's a battle, and we get some fancy flying from Daniel, but Adele and the new ensign must fend for themselves in the big city.

A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea, Dina Nayeri. This is my Reading My Library audio. Things came to a screeching halt when the protagonist was caught maybe kissing a boy, which is a big deal in Iran. I was nervous so I only listened to a wee bit at a time. Now she's been hurriedly married to an old rich guy so I guess her life is picking up? Or collapsing in ruins, one or the other.

A Shocking Delight, Jo Beverley. I like the characters -- the businessman's daughter tossed into the aristocracy of her mother's family, the reluctant aristocrat who can't seem to get out of the smuggling business, but I'm finding their attempts to meet in the middle rather dull.

The next few books I'm not really reading, just dipping into between the books I'm trying to finish so that I can pretend that I'm going to read the books on my bookcases.


A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1)KenilworthSammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)Reading and Learning to ReadThe Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen

A Traitor To Memory, Elizabeth George.
Emerald Atlas, John Stephens. Kate's sister has a better instinctive understanding of bad guys. Too young to be socialized out of it, I guess.
Kenilworth, Walter Scott.
Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen, Wendelin Van Draanen.
The Quantum Universe, Brian Cox.
Reading and Learning To Read, Jo Vacca.


2017 Challenge Progress:
  1. Cybils 2015: 77 out of 82. Need to finish these up.
  2. Cybils 2016! 0/ a lot. I haven't even counted. I've read none of them.
  3. Reading My Library: Slowly listening to A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea (the library will want it back next week and I'm barely halfway done) and am partway through a Jo Beverley book.
  4. Where Am I Reading?: 2/51. Starting over!

No comments: