Monday, January 16, 2017

Happy Dream Day!

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
I'd like to keep up this reading diary for myself so I can go back and see what I was reading against what, and when, and if I had any thought. I know I record everything on librarything.com, and also on goodreads, but it's harder to see what was happening simultaneously, which is a huge part of my reading experience.

I'm concentrating lately on Patricia Briggs and Cybils books, because I'm meeting her in a few weeks so I want to have read everything recently, and the Cybils books because the new list came out and I haven't finished the old. I'm also trying to alternate between a library book and a personal copy, which works out perfectly for those two concentrations but may get more complicated later.

I'm also on another reading team, where we complete small reading challenges for countries around the world. We are currently in the U.K., so I'm reading a book whose title has all the letters in STONEHENGE.

The Book Date does a weekly roundup of what people are reading, want to read, or have read each week called It's Monday! What Are You Reading and I'm going to sign up. There's also a version that is kidlit focussed, and as I read a few of those (surprisingly few, actually), I check in with either Teach Mentor Text or UnLeashing Readers for their version.

My pile of books for this week:
Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)The Fog Diver (The Fog Diver, #1)

* Cry Wolf, Patricia Briggs. Part of my complete Briggs re-read for Foolscap. Also, not coincidentally, the next book for my Tuesday book club. I last listened to this book as an audio with my kids, and they like it too.

* The Fog Diver, Joel Ross. A Cybils pick from last year. I liked the word play (it's post-apocalyptic and the kids discuss the legends of the past in a mangled way) and the ensemble cast, as well as the found-family vibe. And the action was good, with dirigibles and sky-pirates and tethered-dives with treasure at the bottom.

Plus the books I talked about last Friday:
When Demons Walk (Sianim, #3)Moon Rising (Wings of Fire, #6)My Family Adventure (Sofia Martinez)Hatchet (Hatchet, #1)Steal the Dragon (Sianim, #2)

(* Books I started this week.)


I started but didn't finish:
Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)Duck the Halls (Meg Langslow, #16)The Dungeoneers (Dungeoneers, #1)Black Butler, Volume 04

Bookmarks moved in several books:

The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea

The Sea Without a Shore, David Drake. And there's a battle, and we get some fancy flying from Daniel, but Adele and the new ensign must fend for themselves in the big city.

A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea, Dina Nayeri. This is my Reading My Library audio. Things came to a screeching halt when the protagonist was caught maybe kissing a boy, which is a big deal in Iran. I was nervous so I only listened to a wee bit at a time. Now she's been hurriedly married to an old rich guy so I guess her life is picking up? Or collapsing in ruins, one or the other.

The next few books I'm not really reading, just dipping into between the books I'm trying to finish so that I can pretend that I'm going to read the books on my bookcases.


A Traitor to Memory (Inspector Lynley, #11)The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1)KenilworthSammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)Reading and Learning to ReadThe Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Does Happen

A Traitor To Memory, Elizabeth George.
Emerald Atlas, John Stephens. Kate betrays the world at the orders of the villain, and then is shocked when the villain behaves villainously. She's not the brightest star in the sky, that one.
Kenilworth, Walter Scott. The wife has shown up at her husband's castle, but he's too busy with the queen to notice her.
Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen, Wendelin Van Draanen. Sammy's bad day culminates with her policeman friend doubting her, which is just too much to take.
The Quantum Universe, Brian Cox. What are the fundamental rules of our universe?

Reading and Learning To Read, Jo Vacca. Wrapping up strategies for encouraging reading comprehension. I should write some down because they would work for book club next year.


2017 Challenge Progress:
  1. Cybils 2015: 76 out of 82. Need to finish these up.
  2. Cybils 2016! 0/ a lot. I haven't even counted. I've read none of them.
  3. Reading My Library: Slowly listening to A Teaspoon of Earth and Sea (the library will want it back next week and I'm barely halfway done) and am partway through a Jo Beverley book.
  4. Where Am I Reading?: 2/51. Starting over!

No comments: