Sunday, June 27, 2010

Extra Days = Extra Books


X is officially a Library Teen now, because he's in Junior High. And therefore eligible for the exclusive library Teen Events, such as Wednesday's Game-On. Attendance was low, so they opened the doors to cool siblings such as P, and both dived into some kind of Mario Smash Brawl Kombat thing. I went home.

But of course, I had to come back to get them (I've got to help them figure out bus lines someday). And it turned out that it wasn't over yet, so I was left wandering the new branches shelves, unchaperoned. Which meant that I picked up a few books, mostly of the brain-candy pool-side variety:
  • Blood From Stone, Laura Anne Gilman. I think there is a vampire involved.
  • Storm From the Shadows, David Weber. Honor's friends in space.
  • White Road, Lynn Flewelling. I like this series.
  • Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer, Novella Carpenter. Raising chickens in Oakland, CA.
  • Angels and Ages: A Short Book about Darwin, Lincoln, and Modern Life, Adam Gopnik. I like this author.
  • Bone and Jewel Creatures, Elizabeth Bear. Very pretty cover.
  • 30-Minute Money Solutions, Christine Benz. I need to control my paper clutter.
  • Pride/Prejudice, Ann Herendeen. Perhaps a worse desecration than zombies.
Then the video game party ended, and I felt it only polite to encourage my boys to get books. X has a pile already, but P claimed there was nothing he'd like. I told him to try nonfiction, and led him to the 000's where his eyes lit up at the sight of:
  • Admit It, You're Crazy!: Quirks, Idiosyncracies, and Irrational Behavior, Judy Reiser.
Unfortunately for me, books about books are also shelved in this area, and one attached itself to me:
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures, Margo Hammond and Ellen Heltzel.
This all happened before the official library day, where I got 5 new CD's and the hold shelf decanted:
  • Fantasy in Death, J.D. Robb
Total Books from Library Elf (counting all the kid stuff that I'm legally responsible for even if I hope not to read it): 76. Missing book: 1. Book sent to library with a friend, and apparently not turned in: 1. Stuff on my card: 68, but I'm still checking some stuff out for my sons.

I'll go sign up for Library Loot this week. That's a weekly event hosted in turns by Eva's A Striped Armchair and Marg's Reading Adventures (this week's host) where bloggers can share their library finds of the week. Some of them make me look restrained.

1 comment:

Birgit said...

I want your library! Brought kidlings to ours and was most disappointed in their kid section. Books so crammed in that you can't see any of them but then they're all so old (think large quantities of Hardy Boys falling apart) that you wouldn't want them anyway. Asked librarian for a recommendation for Gen and she just looked at me like I was nuts. I dunno was the response. Umm thanks. Sigh.