Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Discord at the Library

Once again all five us set out for the library, but it was not a peaceful trip.  N hated that X kept breathing the air, and looking at things, and generally existing.  When his violent screaming was curbed, he was astonished at the cruel conspiracy against him and never really recovered.  He have a few brief spots of cheerfulness, but in that case some other kid would leap forward to prevent a lack of unpleasantness in the universe.  

Despite all obstacles I helped N get his next video from the hold shelf and let him take home my copy of Shark vs Train.  On my way to the hold shelves I saw two books from my TBR lists, so I grabbed them:
Image of itemImage of item
  • Blackout, by Rob Thurman.  The middle of a paranormal series, but it starts with amnesia so should be a good entry point.
  • Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by Helen Simonson.  I think BookNAround suggested this to me.
Image of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of itemImage of item
Making it to my hold shelf, I pulled down:
  • River Marked, by Patricia Briggs.  Perfect timing -- I just reread the previous book!
  • Life At the Edge and Beyond, by Jan Greenman.  About living with Asperger Syndrome and ADHD, but my kid won't notice it because there are adults on the cover.
  • The Commoner, by John Burnham Schwartz.  About the first common Japanese princess.
  • You Don't Look Like Anyone I know, by Heather Sellers. This is for the Michigan challenge.
  • Betti On the High Wire, by Lisa Railsback.  A Cybils book.
  • A Sick Day for Amos McGee, by Philip C. Stead. Cybils picture book, completing that category!
  • Mirror, Mirror, by Marilyn Singer.  Cybils poetry book.
  • Tales of the Vampires.  Buffy book.
  •  Kidz Bop 11. My musical journey continues.
I also got five other CDs, grabbing at random.  CDs don't make it home for a week, since they get played in the car first.  Last week's titles were: Kate Bush's Aerial, The Flaming Lips and Stardeath  and the White Dwarfs' Dark Side of the Moon, Devendra Banhart's Cripple Crow, and Sufjan Stevens' The Avalanche.

That brings me to 79 items out on my card, from 82 last week.  I seem to be hovering.  I'm off to Marg at The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader and Clare from The Captive Reader (she's this week's host) take turns with the linky for Library Loot. That's where all us library lovers go to compare our hauls for the week.

6 comments:

Claire (The Captive Reader) said...

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand is very sweet - definitely a nice, cozy read.

Enjoy your loot!

Anonymous said...

omg your holds list has so much that i want! what great loot :) well im actually just starting both of Patricia Briggs series, so have both Moon Called and Cry Wolf on hold.

Anonymous said...

79 items? Wow. I think my library cuts you off at 30. And I had no idea that there are Buffy books. Happy reading.

Beth said...

I think our limit is 100. That's why I now make the kids check out their own stuff.

Unknown said...

Wow, 79 is good! We get cut off at 20, although since I work at the library I get 30. How long can you have them for?? Check out my loot here

http://kyliesreads.blogspot.com/2011/03/library-loot_30.html

Chinoiseries said...

Wow, you sure took home a big loot! 100 as a limit? I'm only allowed to take 10 at a time :) (Which is good. I already find it hard to read them before the due date).
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand is a book that I'd like to read too. Enjoy your loot!