Sunday, June 9, 2013

Monday Report

Well, it was a fun weekend of reading all the time -- the 48 Hour Reading Challenge, hosted this year by Ms Yingling Reads to give Motherreader a break. Strangely, instead of reading until all hours of the night because I couldn't fall asleep, I spent the weekend dropping off all the time, so I'm well rested but only got 29 hours in. Funny old world we live in.

I also pretty much stuck to my one-book-at-a-time experiment, which felt odd but probably sped up my page turning.

I'll go sign in at Book Journey's round-up of what people have read, are reading, and will read. I'm also heading for  Teach Mentor Texts since I read many youthful books.


This week I read:
  • The Avion My Uncle Flew, Cyrus Fisher. kidlit. An old Newberry Honor book about post-WW II France.
  • Little White Duck, Na Liu. kidlit. A Cybils graphic novel about growing up in China.
  • The Duchess War, Courney Milan. A romance about a duke and an unsuitable woman, with labor unrest.
  • Giants Beware!, Jorge Aguirre. kidlit. A Cybils graphic novel about bold children with a plan.
  • How to Save a Life, Sara Zarr. YA. A Best of the Best pick.
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant, Luke Pearson. kidlit. A Cybils graphic novel (see a pattern here? I got the whole nominee slate.)
  • The Eye of the Warlock, P.W. Catanese. kidlit. Leftover from last summer.
  • Redshirts, John Scalzi. SF. I finally read this! Standard Scalzi, but with codas.
  • Redskin and Cowboy, G.A. Henty. kidlit. Last summer leftover, good problematic fun.
  • Ender's World, ed. Orson Scott Card. Essays about Ender's Game.
  • And All the Stars, Andrea K Host. YA. A Cybils fantasy pick. I'll give to X.
  • Delusion in Death, J.D. Robb. SF. Standard in Death book.
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Big Bad Ironclad!, Nathan Hale. kidlit. Cybils graphic novel that isn't a novel because it's a narrative nonfiction.
  • Shadow's Claim, Kresley Cole. SF. Romance. From Vaginal Fantasy book club. Last month's book. I'm always late, but youtube will wait for me.
  • Throne of the Crescent Moon, Saladin Ahmed. SF. Good guys against evil magicians.
What am I currently reading? Almost nothing! I mean, I have the six books I'm just inching through, and I have the short stories on my NOOK that I read every day or so, and I have two audio books open because the library reclaimed one and hasn't released it back to me yet. But really, I'm not reading anything at this second.
  • Some of the Best From Tor.Com 2011. (NOOK) This is from my favorite review site.
  • The Wake of the Lorelei Lee, L.A. Meyer (audio). The library called it home! I shall request it again, as my kid is now into it. 
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse, Charlaine Harris (audio). My replacement so I could have something to listen to in the car.
  • Keep Me Forever, Rosemary Laurey. Dipper. Hmm, English village politics are complex.
  • The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener, Martin Gardner. Dipper. I like his thoughts on prayer.
  • The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens. Dipper. More depressing lawyer stuff.
  • Senrid, Sherwood Smith. Dipper. A rescue! But by the wrong guy?
  • Abraham Lincoln: Prairie Years, Carl Sandburg. Congressman Abe misses his family.
  • A Parent's Guide to Developmental Delays,  Laurie Lecomer. Heading into sensory integration, another familiar topic.
What will I read next week? I'm about to start Alexandre Dumas's Georges on my NOOK, then Michael Carroll's Ascension from my shelves. That's the second book in the Super Human series, and my older son highly recommended it. From the library I have the Reading My Library Quest book Ordinary Magic, by Caitlen Rubino-Bradley (shelved under R), and for my book clubs I'm going to start Where'd You Go Bernadette. If I finish Ordinary Magic I'll move on to The Snow Child because it's due next week.

2013 Challenges:
  1. Cybils: 32/74.  Finished middle grade graphic novels and one YA Fantasy. Ordered up all the NF picture books.
  2. Where Am I Reading?: 25. Nothing new. Snow Child will be in Alaska, though.
  3. Crazy Quilt Colors: 5/9. Need patterns, yellow, green, and brown. Any good brown books?
  4. Reading My Library: Not this week. But I've got one in the bag.
  5. Best of the Best 2012: 41/25. Finished How to Save a Life but my audio book had to go back to the library.
  6. Summer Reading Goal: Ha! Now I'm all set for another book-a-day plan.
  7. 48 Hour Reading Challenge! Finished seven books, with an eighth done a few minutes after the final whistle. Had a great time, although I missed my boys.

No comments: