Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Monday on Tuesday

2a
OK, I can't actually sign in anywhere because I forgot to post this yesterday. I'm starting lots of books with gleeful abandon and occasionally finishing one. Very occasionally.

I'm quite excited about the Singh and Gray books because I turned two friends onto these series and they've been tearing through them much faster than me. There's a special giddy feeling about recommending a book and having someone you respect like it.

Also, my younger son is reading his first Wen Spencer: Wood Sprites. My heart swells. I shall go look to see what the reading meme people are reading even though I'm too late to sign up myself:
 bookjourney's and Teach Mentor Texts:
  • Crown of Renewal, Elizabeth Moon. Dorrin career change, Arvid's promotion, and Phelan's peace.
  • Archangel's Storm, Nalini Singh. How Jason met a girl. 
  • Skin Dive, Ava Gray. Not my favorite romance trope (boy thinks he isn't good enough for girl) but I liked the SF plot.
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh, R.L. Lafevers. Theodosia saves the world again and then is ready to confide in her parents.
What am I currently reading?  Well, as I started seven books last week and finished four, this list gets longer and longer. My book bag has been upgraded to an enormous tote, and I have several side bags that I actually use when I leave the house. I don't want to look strange, so I only like to carry 2-4 books plus my NOOK when I go shopping.

Hmm. I think I'll start putting page numbers down to see if I actually make any progress during the week:
  • Serafina's Promise, Ann E. Berg. A Cybils finalist. This will be a hard sell for me, as I intensely dislike poetry novels, and I hate the feeling that I know something terrible will happen while the kids run around optimistically. Maybe I will enjoy it more now that the earthquake has come and everyone knows life will be awful. p.99
  • Marriage Bureau for Rich People, Farahad Zama. For my real-life book club, which meets this Friday. p. 110
  • Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo, Obert Skye. Another recommendation from my elementary school book club. Title seems silly but the book looks all right. p.1
  • Concealed in Death, J.D. Robb. The murders all took place fifteen years ago, so this one is less gory than most. There is a Bones like forensic team on the outskirts. p.218
  • Divergent, Veronica Roth. If I finish this quickly I can catch the movie at the cheap theatre! p.61
  • Love, Stargirl, Jerry Spinelli. I read the first book donkey's years ago, so I hope a good memory isn't necessary for the book club recommendation. p.52
  • Indigo Springs, A.M. Dellamonica. Because I liked her latest book, Child of the Hidden Sea. p.58
  • Gregor the Overlander, Suzanne Collins. Another book club rec. Also, I'm avoiding Mockingjay because I've heard it's sad. p.63
  • The Lions of al-Rassan, Guy Gabriel Kay. So far I like the lady doctor. p.19
  • Yonder Comes the Other End of Time, Suzette Elgin. I haven't decided to root for the obnoxious space guy or the quirky local lady yet. p.54
  • A Rising Thunder, David Weber. Another dense book of imaginary history. Moon does this better, but both suffer from too-many-plot-lines syndrome. p.112
  • Shards of Time, Lynn Flewelling. Still heading for the mysterious island. p.35
  • The Goblin Emperor, Katherine Addison. This is still very good. (no pages on phone)
  • Cathedral of the Wild, Boyd Varty. I'm always jealous of farm kids who get to drive when they are six. p.107
  • Tinker, Wen Spencer. By the way, I got my youngest reading Wood Sprites. That makes me ridiculously happy. p.310
  • The Golden Leopard, Lynn Kerstan. OK, the stakes are higher but the pair are working together. p.111
  • Inkheart, Cornelia Funke. Act one seems to be over. p. 260
  • The Son of Neptune, Rick Riordan. They have been distracted on their way to Alaska, but I am still hoping... p.251
Reading intermittently, and deliberately slowly. These never change much:
  • Reading and Learning to Read, Jo Anne Vacca. The first chapter seems interesting. p.6
  • Nerds, Michael Buckley. Some school is getting a new principal. p.1
  • Out to Canaan, Jan Karon. A mysterious meeting, a tense investment opportunity, and a softball game. p.213
  • The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens. Stil quite dull. People go to prison. p. 710
What's up next? I'm concentrating on library fire drills and the summer recommendations from my school book club. Next week I hope to read some non-library books.

2014 Challenge Progress:
  1. Cybils: 50/77. I'm currently reading two more, and I have several on deck.
  2. Where Am I Reading? 29/51. Still stuck. I've got a Connecticut book out from the library, and I'm still hoping Percy Jackson heads for Alaska. I'm actively looking for Arizona, Arkansas and Colorado. 
  3. Alphabetically Inclined: 18/26. Still reading a Y. May need to start hunting through my shelves.
  4. What's In a Name?: 7/7. Score with Archangel's Storm, which is about has weathery as I could wish. Now I just have to review everything.
  5. Book Bingo: Finished a square!  TEN boxes into the next one since I last calculated.
  6. Gentle Spectrum Challenge: Who would have thought I read so few cheesy titles? Unless Love, Stargirl counts, since Stargirl is written as a rhebus.
  7. Small Fry Safari: 7/8. No change. Still need something precious.
  8. PoC Speculative Fiction 9/5: Three books this week would qualify. Maybe four, but I forget how dark the protagonist of Skin Heat was.
  9. Big Books: Crown of Renewal counts. 503 pages.
  10. Best of the Best 2012: 52/25.  I am stalled.
  11. Reading My Library: Library temporarily closed, so on hiatus.

No comments: