Friday, April 8, 2016

I Can Run Amok!

badge-4This is my first library visit since my no-new-books Triple Dog Dare ended (successfully!). So I can check out anything I want, although I'm trying to be restrained because I enjoy being able to fit all my library books on my library shelf. I browsed a lot, but kept my bag closed.

My hold list has started creeping up in size again, but looking at it I see it's mainly Cybils books and book club picks, with a few sequels to series I'm currently reading. So I haven't completely fallen off the wagon at the first opportunity.

I got a book for my book club, and my April Surprise Me pick from my TBR pile.

QuietThe Year of Living Dangerously

From the e-shelves I got a book I started but didn't finish and the start of the next Cybils category (YA Speculative fiction):
Lemonade MouthAn Inheritance of Ashes

I also got some stuff for my kid, but since I'm not planning to read it I'm not listing it. That would make me want to read it.

I've currently got 24 things out from the library. This seems both astonishingly low and probably about right to me. I have several Cybils waiting, a full complement of Library Quest books, a book club book or three, several books for the kids (some that I've finished but hope they try), and a small handful of pleasure reads.

I'll go look at the Library Loot which is at The Captive Reader this week to see what everyone else is getting.  (Hmm, new one not up yet) Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 

Library Questing


AirtightAirtight by David Rosenfelt.  I picked this because it is set in New Jersey, and I wasn't really expecting to enjoy the story of a gum shoe detective solving a violent crime. But I was pleasantly surprised by liking the character and appreciating his problems even though the original description pretty much stands. The conflict between him and his antagonist was complicated by the things they had in common, and the gradually unravelling of the true villain helped give some sympathy to the grieving brother, even as his acts remained unforgivable. If I come across this author again in the regular-print books I would try him again.

Hild by Nicola Griffith continues to be a great story in my car. It's nineteen disks long and I'm on #19, so I've got maybe a few days or so. Unnatural Causes by P.D. James will be next.

No comments: