Friday, April 29, 2016

Power Picks!

badge-4
My nephew and I are working our way through all the Power Ranger shows on netflix, and sneaking in an extra episode of Power Rangers: Wild Force on Thursday made me late for the library. A few days ago we finished the season of Power Rangers: Time Force so we were feeling rather pumped and wanted to get a good start on the new season. I liked Time Force because although they had to have a boy for the Red Ranger position (very essentialist, these Power Rangers) it was clear that the Pink Ranger was the boss. I still think the love interest plot was squicky, but my nephew assures me that it was romantic, and anyone, the heart loves as the heart loves. Even if it's the guy who looks just like your recently dead fiance and is actually his 1000-year ancestor.

Anyway, this meant I didn't have time to browse the shelves, but the hold shelf had a full load so perhaps it's just as well!

My loot from the hold shelf:
AuroraLemonade MouthTwin SpicaShades of Milk and Honey

Aurora, Kim Stanley Robinson. This is the May pick for the online book club/podcast Sword and Laser. Their theme was SPACE!

Lemonade Mouth, Mark Peter Hughes. I started this earlier but the library called it home. Trying again. Re-loot for the win!

Twin Spica 8, Kou Yaginuma.  Continuing my trip with these hopeful astronauts in training. I think there are 12, so I still have a ways to go.

Shades of Milk and Honey, Mary Robinette Kowal. My other online book club/ video show is reading this as their alt pick for April. I still haven't found the main pick; I may have to buy it.

I also knew they had the copy of my next elementary school book club pick, so I grabbed it from the shelves:

The One and Only Ivan

The One and Only Ivan, Katherine Applegate. I've listened to this on audio but this is the first time with pages for me. I remember crying over it, which was an issue as I was driving at the time. I had to pause the story for a few minutes to get a hold of myself, which aggravated the listening passengers. Safety First, people!

And I should probably mention the ebooks which have dropped into my tablet:

William Shakespeare's Star WarsThe City's Son

Verily: A New Hope, Ian Doescher. The Star Wars/Shakespeare mash-up that my Tuesday night book/movie club is reading next Tuesday. Because it's Shakespeare week or death day or birthday or something, right? I've read it before, and I think my kid owns a copy, but I'm not sure where he put it.
I've currently got things out from the library.  I'd like to keep that number under thirty; it includes the stockpiled Cybils and Library Quest books, as well as a handful for the rest of the family. Also, I haven't really mastered returning e-books early, especially ones I read on my tablet in Kindle format. So I can ignore one or two of those numbers.

City's Son, Tom Pollock. The book we'll read after the Doescher. I know nothing about it.

That's a total of 29 things out, which isn't too bad. I'll go look at the Library Loot which is at Silly Little Mischief this week to see what everyone else is getting.  Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Linda from Silly Little Mischief that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post - feel free to steal the button (that pile of books up at the top) - and link it using the Mr. Linky any time during the week. 


Library Questing

Here I document any progress I make in my Quest to read a book from every shelf in my local library.

Unnatural Causes by P.D. James is the current audio. It's only 8 discs and I'm on #4. This is a terrible vacation for Dagliesh -- the worst of police work and no authority to make it fun.

I'm still reading Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld, but I'm not really enjoying it and don't really care what happens to the characters. So after pushing ahead a few pages I let myself skip onto Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread which I'm enjoying more. Or I was until the icky part with the guy finding out that his high school girl friend (already scandalously young) is actually just starting middle school. Oops.

No comments: