Monday, March 11, 2013

Halfway to 90!

Happy Birthday to Me! To celebrate I've even blogged a bit this week.

I'll go sign in at Book Journey's round-up of what people have read, are reading, and will read. I'm eligible again for Teach Mentor Texts since I read one YA book.

This week I read:

  • Marathon, Boaz Yakin (Cybils graphic novel)
  • The Righteous Mind, Jonathan Haidt. Recommended by my little brother. 
  • Nexus, Ramez Naam. Book club -- a member knows the author!
  • My Stroke of Insight, Jill Bolte Taylor. Interesting
  • Frost Burned, Patricia Briggs. Birthday present for me!
  • Cry Wolf, Patricia Briggs. Car audio.
What am I currently reading? Technically I have 23 books open, but really I'm only trying to read about three. Well, five if you count the NOOK books.  Most books are just for browsing, and then there's all the books left over from the summer that I'll get to REAL SOON NOW.
  • Naked in Death, J.D. Robb. (NOOK). Last month's Vaginal Fantasy pick.
  • Some of the Best From Tor.Com 2011. (NOOK) This is from my favorite review site.
  • Bloody Jack, L.A. Meyer. Just like Alanna, Jack finds menarche scary. 
  • Blackwood, Gwenda Bond. Another Secret Santa present.
  • Steel's Edge, Ilona Andrews. The dangerous undercover part.
  • The King of Attolia, Megan Whelan Turner. Oh Costis, if you only knew...
  • A Temple of Texts, William H. Gass. This is definitely a book I enjoy thinking about more than actually reading.
  • Serpent's Shadow, Rick Riordan. Gee Sadie, is it possible that the reason Walter's impending death is sad isn't that it means you might not have a date to the dance?
  • Fuzzy Nation, John Scalzi (audio). My car book. The kids approve, especially when they heard Wil Wheaton's voice.
  • The Whys of a Philosophical Scrivener, Martin Gardner. Dipper. I am also not a political extremist.
  • The Pickwick Papers, Charles Dickens. Dipper. Time for a party, and then a chase!
  • Senrid, Sherwood Smith. Dipper. Hasn't Senrid figured them out yet?
  • War With the Newts, Karel Capek. Dipper. I see action on the horizon!
  • Abraham Lincoln: Prairie Years, Carl Sandburg. I like this Lincoln, who just turned 18.
  • A Parent's Guide to Developmental Delays,  Laurie Lecomer. How to spot various cognitive difficulties in the early grades.
What will I read next week? I now have a sense of this, since I'm regulating my page intake to about 100 pages a day (not counting book club books:
  • Wild Girl, Patricia Reilly Giff. For my school book club.
  • Why We Broke Up, Daniel Handler. In my bag, but not started yet.
  • Soup's Hoop, Robert Peck. (Monday) From my shelves.
  • Furious, Mike Shepherd. (Tuesday) SF series.
  • The Tunnel of Hugsy Goode,  Eleanor Estes. (Friday) From my shelves.
  • Summer of the Gypsy Moths, Sara Pennypacker. (Sunday) RML book.
2013 Challenges:
  1. TBR Double Dog Dare: Still at eleven. And I cheated and read my birthday present, but it was my birthday so I give myself a pass. I'm very lenient this year! I'm definitely not good at this, but on the bright side, I have just about conquered the library mountain.
  2. Cybils: 6/74. I'll start this in earnest in April.
  3. Where Am I Reading?: 14. I got Montana and Massachusetts. Seven countries now that I have Thailand and Greece.
  4. Crazy Quilt Colors: 2/9. No luck yet. Can I count "bloody" for red?
  5. Science Book Challenge: Need to re-sign up, especially since Righteous Minds would count.
  6. Reading My Library: Next one to start next week.
  7. Best of the Best 2012: 38/25. Ordered the next audio, which I just noticed is later in the Bloody Jack series. Heh.
  8. Summer Reading Goal: About to get back to work on Hugsy Goode.

1 comment:

kmitcham said...

So what did you think of The Righteous Mind? I really liked it, or I wouldn't have recommended it. He has some great TED talks, too.