Monday, September 7, 2015

Summer Reading List (Backwards, of course)

2a
Well, the good news is that I got a lot of reading done this summer. The bad news is that I never went near this blog. I'm sure you all were bereft without hearing what books I've paged through. Fear not -- I kept a summer reading log!

My summer goal of reading a book each day ends tomorrow. I made it, but I counted everything I read, which included picture books. I've starred children's books, and double starred books I think of as picture books (which range from actual picture books to easy chapter books) because I don't count those in my reading totals for the year.

This week I read a pile of easy reads:
  • Book Clubbed, Lorna Barrett. Cosy murder mystery set in New Hampshire. I really liked the relationship between the two sisters.
  • Howl's Moving Castle, Diana Wynne Jones. A reread for family book club. I love this book.
  • The Meaning of Maggie, Megan Jean Sovern. Cybils middle grade fiction.
  • The Family Fortune, Laure Horowitz. For my Friday book club -- an interesting take on Jane Austin's Persuasion, but felt rather distant.
  • A Bride's Story Vol 3, Kaoru Mori. Now my older son is also into these.
  • The Perfect Match, Kristan Higgins. Contemporary romance with arranged marriage, which is a trope I find I enjoy. The baby-hunger was annoying portrayed through chattering ovaries.
  • The Freedom Summer Murders, Don Mitchell. Cybils nonfiction about murders and racism.
  • The Port Chicago 50, Steve Sheinkin. Cybils nonfiction about negligence and racism.
  • Obsession in Death, J.D. Robb. Solid entry in the Eve & Roarke saga.

Bookjourney's "It's Monday" posts are still on hiatus (although she's back to reading and blogging, hooray to her!) but I'll check in with Teach Mentor Texts since I have a pile of kidlit books.
2015 Challenge Progress:
  1. Cybils 2014: 76/81. I'm waiting on the hot books of the year to appear on my hold shelf, and there's one book my libraries don't have. Hmm.
  2. Where Am I Reading?: 34/51.  Knocked off New Hampshire, am reading a South Carolina, and have requested what I hope is a Delaware book.
  3. Award Winning Book Challenge: I have apparently stopped reviewing books. But I've ticked off many awards. 
  4. Book Riot Read Harder: 22/24. I still need an African author and a book of short stories.
  5. Alphabetically Inclined:  I V X  Z still missing. 22/26
  6. Best of the Best 2012: 52/25.  I am stalled. Maybe time to go back?
  7. Reading My Library: Woot -- my library reopened! I'm currently reading an audio book, since with the new construction that's the first thing after children's books. I think I'll pick up the next text book, although I'm trying to decide if I can skip Big Print books, since I find them unpleasant to read.
Summer Reading:

June:

19: Hunt For the Hydra *
20: MaddAddam
21: Forged in Blood 1
22: About that Night
23: A Matter for Men
24: Yonder Comes the Other End of Time
25: Bless Her Dead Little Heart
26: Chasing Cheetahs **
27: Feathers: Not Just for Flying **
28: When Lunch Fights Back **
29: The Case of the Vanishing Little Brown Bats: A Scientific Mystery **
30: Angel Island: Gateway to Gold Mountain **

July

1: Handle With Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey **
2: Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez & Her Family's Fight for Desegregation **
3: Wyrd Sisters
4: Dragon Prince
5: Hex Hall
6: Big Nate Strikes Again **
7: The Return of Santa Paws *
8: Santa Paws to the Rescue *
9: Mouse Called Wolf  *
10: Abby Spencer Goes to Bollywood *
11: Avatar: The Last Airbender: 6 **
12: Bird Lake Moon *
13: The Winner's Curse
14: Avatar: The Lost Scrolls: Earth **
15: Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights
16: Bone 1: Out From Boneville *
17: The Last Holiday Concert *
18: Code Talker
19: Sea Without a Shore
20: Curtsies and Conspiracies
21: All Four Stars *
22: His At Night
23: Popular
24: Half a Life
25: Strange Fruit
26: Castle Hangnail *
27: In Real Life 
28: Rapunzel's Revenge *
29: Codex Born
30: LumberJanes 
31: The Luck Uglies *

August

1: Beyond Magenta
2: To This Day **
3: End of Days
4: Peacemaker
5: Brimsby's Hats **
6: Shh! We have a Plan **
7: The Easter Cat **
8: Royal Airs 
9: Girl and the Bicycle **
10: Knight-napped *
11: Shadow Hero 
12: Through the Woods
13: Over Sea Under Stone *
14: Waistcoats and Weaponry
15: Bride's Story Vol 2 
16: The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage
17: Too Dangerous For a Lady
18: The Harlem Hellfighters
19: Bird and Squirrel On Ice **
20: Hidden **
21: Gaijin: American Prisoner of War **
22: Nickel Bay Nick *
23: Ballad **
24: Half/Life: Jew-ish Tales From Interfaith Homes
25: My Friend Dahmer
26: Being Mortal
27: Paddington At Large *
28: Wrong Way Around Magic *
29: Big Nate on a Roll *
30: Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist
31: Jinx's Fire *

September
1: Dumbest Idea Ever
2: The Just City
3: Ice Dogs *
4: The Martian
5: Lulu and the Rabbit Next Door **
6:  Violet Mackerel's Possible Friend **
7: Extraordinary Warren: A Superchicken **
8: Okay, Andy! **

Extras: Lulu's Mysterious Mission **, Clara and Clem Under the Sea **, Pigsticks and Harold and the Incredible Journey**, My New Friend Is So Fun**, Inch and Roly and the Sunny Day Scare **, The Chicken Squad: The First Misadventure**, Shadowshaper, Like Carrot Juice on a Cupcake **, The Lion Who Stole My Arm**, Family Romanov, Obsession in Death, Port Chicago 50, Freedom Summer Murders, Perfect Match, Bride's Story 3, The Family Fortune, The Meaning of Maggie *, Howl's Moving Castle, Book Clubbed, Mrs Pollifax Unveiled, Penric's Demon, Year of Reading Dangerously, El Deafo*

No comments: