Monday, February 6, 2012

Love Books Month

Despite the silence on this blog lately, I've still been reading about a book a day.  I've just been finishing them too late to turn on the computer to record anything.  For a brief moment, I had my currently reading pile down to a mere ten books, but then I saw a few shiny covers and the moment passed.  The dreaded TBR Dare has kept my library list short, though.  Well, shortish.

This is my take meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  What I read, what I'm reading, and a peek at what I'll read next.

This week I finished:
  • The Romeo and Juliet Code, Phoebe Stone.  From my TBR list.
  • Because of Winn-Dixie, Kate DiCamillo.  For the school book club.
  • Ancient, Strange and Lovely, Susan Fletcher.  RML -- surprise final book in a series I like.
  • Twenty Palaces, Harry Connolly.  Probably the last book in a series I love.
  • The Secret Duke, Jo Beverley.  They ended up getting married!
  • A Lady Awakened, Cecelia Grant.  These guys as well.
  • Anna and the French Kiss, Stephanie Perkins.  Cybils.  Fun YA love story.
  • Lover Unleashed, J.R. Ward. I laughed out loud many times.  These are supposed to be funny, right?
  • Twin Spica 03, Kou Yaginuma. Usually I order the next one after finishing a series, but now I have that pesky book ban going on.  Hmm.
  • The Shattering, Karen Healey.  Cybils YA fantasy book.  Powerful.
  • The London Eye Mystery, Siobhan Dowd.  I snuck it out of my son's room while he was at his dad's and I finished it.  Good mystery.
I've also read some more of the Cybils picture books, but this year I'm not keeping track of my picture book count. For example, I Feel Better With a Frog in My Throat was very popular.


I'm currently reading twelve books, but I don't expect confusion.  I've got environmental dramas, science fiction, historical fanfiction,  and problem books.  Well, most fiction books have problems, but the problems range from neglected children to the ability to fly to getting trapped on the moon.  I'm even reading a sports book!  The Cybils and my Reading My Library quest bring me interesting books.
  • Christmas Angel, Jo Beverly.  My librarything Santa present.  Lord meets widow, so far.
  • The Girl Who Could Fly, Victoria Forester. Problems I would have loved to have. RML.
  • Operation Redwood, S. Terrell French.  Meanest aunt & uncle pair in San Francisco. RML.
  • Among Others, Jo Walton.  Re-reading to decide which library to donate the extra copy to.
  • Stupid Fast, Geoff Herbach. NOOK.  Cybils YA finalist.  Seems to be about football.
  • Enchanted Glass, Diana Wynne Jones.  Audio book for when the kids are in the car.  English accents are fun.
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Laurie King. (reread). Audio book when kids aren't in the car, and also this month's book club book.  
  • Smart But Scattered, Peg Dawson & Richard Guare.  My reward book -- I read a section whenever I finish a book.  I think I'll put books I read for parenting in this slot.
  • The Same Stuff as Stars, Katherine Paterson. Reached grandmother's house, thank goodness.
  • The First Men In the Moon, H.G. Wells.  Giant slug-things are on the moon.
  • Traveling Mercies, Anne Lamott. I like how she realizes that "no" can be the answer to a prayer.
  • The End of Racism, Dinesh D'Souza.  Shocked at how some people define racism, he redefines it for them.
What will I read next? I've got four Cybils books waiting, a handful of library books left from the beginning of the year, and the mountains of stuff I have lying around.  The library books probably still take priority. The TBR Dare is in full effect, although I have a few book club matters to complete.

Challenges:
  1. Cybils: 20/80.  I need to start responding to the shorter stuff.
  2. What's In a Name?: 5/6.  Need a topological feature, but I don't think the London Eye counts.
  3. Where Am I Reading?:  7/50. Needed 5 by the end of January, so I'm good. 
  4. TBR Double Dare.  7. Rereads count, right?  
  5. Science Book Challenge: 1.1/3.14159.  I officially signed up again.
  6. Comment Challenge.  I finished!  And I won!
  7. Reading My Library: Need to get the next batch; I'm heading for the Hs in children's fiction.

No comments: