Monday, February 13, 2012

Weekly Update

My younger son is charting the number of books I finish each day, and the pressure caused me to choke, starting several things but not finishing much. My to-be-reviewed pile is looming dangerously, so I tend to dodge actually finishing anything and added to its height. Oh well.

This is the meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  What I read, what I'm reading, and a peek at what I'll read next, where I check up on my reading patterns for the previous week.

This week I finished:
  • Y: The Last Man: Safeword.  Brian K. Vaughan's next installment.  I'd probably quit, but X is still interested. Of course, I can't order the next one from the library due to my new book ban.
  • Just Grace and the Double Surprise. Charise Harper.  Cybils finalist.
  • The Girl Who Could Fly. Victoria Forester.  Reading my library pick.
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things. Lenore Look.  Book club pick for the elementary school.
  • The Maze Runner. James Dashner.  Family book club book.
  • Akata Witch, Nnedi Okorafor.  YA fantasy from my TBR list.
I've also read some more of the Cybils picture books.  I'll have most of them done before the award comes out on Valentines day.


I'm showing thirteen books on my currently reading list, but it's not as bad as it looks.  The bottom five are just there for poking at, and the other are all different enough to keep separate. It's always interesting to see what I put on my TBR list, and the RML (reading my library) books give me choices I might not have found otherwise.
  • Christmas Angel, Jo Beverly.  My librarything Santa present.  They got married.
  • Ghetto Cowboy, G. Neri.  Cybils finalist; I expect grim stuff from this author.
  • Operation Redwood, S. Terrell French.  Grandma to the rescue. RML.
  • Among Others, Jo Walton.  Re-reading to decide which library to donate the extra copy to.
  • Stupid Fast, Geoff Herbach. NOOK.  Cybils YA finalist.  Boy makes friends with his body.
  • Enchanted Glass, Diana Wynne Jones.  Audio book for when the kids are in the car.  English accents are fun.
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Laurie King. (reread). Audio book when kids aren't in the car. Too long for my taste, though.
  • Smart But Scattered, Peg Dawson & Richard Guare.  How to know when you or your kid has a problem.  I think I'll put books I read for parenting in this slot.
  • The Same Stuff as Stars, Katherine Paterson. Mom has fled the scene.
  • The First Men In the Moon, H.G. Wells.  Captured by moon-creatures.
  • Traveling Mercies, Anne Lamott. She's a little too cosy with her addictions.
  • The End of Racism, Dinesh D'Souza.  Some double standards here.
  • Honored Enemy, Raymond Feist & William R Forstchen. Standard fantasy maps and battles.
What will I read next? I've got six Cybils books waiting, a small handful of library books left from the beginning of the year, and the reading my library pile. And all the books in my unread book case that I keep hoping I'll start reading.  The library books probably still take priority. The TBR Dare is in full effect, although I have a few book club matters to complete.

Challenges:
  1. Cybils: 24/80.  I need to start responding to the shorter stuff.
  2. What's In a Name?: 5/6.  Still need a topological feature.
  3. Where Am I Reading?:  8/50. Needed 10 by the end of February. 
  4. TBR Double Dare.  9. Rereads count, right?  
  5. Science Book Challenge: 1.14/3.14159.  Cybils Picture books for the fractions.
  6. Reading My Library: Need to get the next batch; I'm heading for the Hs in children's fiction.

No comments: