I've been avoiding this post because I have again somehow drastically overextended my library card. I only read about five or seven books a week (many of them children's books). Sometimes I buy books. I have a groaning bookcase of books I've bought over the past few decades that I'm about to read, and sometimes do read. So I really only go through three or four library books a week, in a good week. This means I should check out a maximum of three books. And yet, somehow, er, my library bag is occasionally a bit heavier.
Also, I check out music for car listening. And later I put that music in my house CD player and time housework to it, which gives me a fun sense of randomness -- I must clean for five or ten songs, depending on my gumption level. Then I hit the randomizer, and wait to hear the first song -- will it be a tiny children's nursery rhyme, or the opening swells of a twenty minute orchestral piece? I like to choose my library music by having a child (or me) wander the CD section and grabbing discs blindly. This leads to nice juxtapositions -- Christmas stuff in October, followed by some Vietnamese opera, and with a African drums chaser. Or it can lead to horrible screeching.
Finally, I've gone back to checking out a handful of picture books for bedtime cuddling. So when I say that I sometimes bend the family rule that one's age should be equal to or greater than the number of items out on your card, that doesn't mean that I think I can read forty books a week. But looking at my library record, I'm wondering why I still pay full price at the movies, when I clearly consider myself eligible for the Senior discount.
This week's haul started with four books on the hold shelf:
- The book whisperer : awakening the inner reader in every child / Donalyn Miller
- March toward the thunder / by Joseph Bruchac.
- The fire king : a Dirk & Steele novel / Marjorie Liu.
- Sammy Keyes and the art of deception / Wendelin Van Draanen.
- Al Capone shines my shoes
- Even money. Dick Francis
- Ten things I hate about me
- Apollo 18 [sound recording] / They Might Be Giants.
- The destroyed room [sound recording] : b-sides and rarities / Sonic youth.
- Gregorian chant [sound recording].
- The Christmas album.
- Dinosaur! / Peter Sis.
- I wonder as I wander / written by Gwenyth Swain ; illustrated by Ron Himler.
- Louie! / Will Hillenbrand.
- Oh no! Time to go! : a book of goodbyes
- Mr. Lincoln's way / Patricia Polacco.
- No mush today / by Sally Derby ; illustrated by Nicole Tadgell.
- Papa do you love me? / by Barbara Joosse ; illustrated by Barbara Lavallee.
- The true story of the 3 little pigs / by A. Wolf ; as told to Jon Scieszka ; illustrated by Lane Smith
- Superhero School / Aaron Reynolds ; illustrated by Andy Rash.