Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Sanity Check: Low


My reading focus right now is based on dealing with my library addiction without actually not reading any of the books I've checked out. I suspect this is not the approach a ten-step program would advocate (Lord, give me restraint, in a few weeks). The trend is slowly improving, but I'm not sure it's fast enough to keep my head from exploding in about 2 1/2 weeks, when the moose in the digestive track of my library list python gets to the top. Oh well.

So, I have many of my own books with bookmarks, but they have all been relegated to the bottom shelf of my night stand while I keep one step ahead of the library due date tigers. I am energetically reading:
  • Good Poems, by Garrison Keillor. I also need to copy out some of the ones I liked. Is memorizing a poem copyright infringement?
  • The Drunkard's Walk, by Leonard Mlodinow. How we perceive patterns and randomness incorrectly.
  • Positive Discipline, by Jane Nelsen. Borrowed from a person instead of the library, but required for a class I'm taking on how to avoid using sarcasm on innocent children.
  • How I Met My Countess, by Elizabeth Boyle. I'm not reading this very energetically, because it's not that good, but I need something so I don't feel bossed around.
There are a bunch of library books I've started but that aren't pressing. I read those when I'm on track with the stuff that's due this week:
  • The Private Patient, by PD James. I thought this was due instead of Drunkards Walk, but I really have two weeks before this ones goes back.
  • Dragon Spear, Jessica Day George. I squeaked out an extra renew, so not as urgent.
  • Where Men Win Glory, by Jon Krakauer. I know I can't renew this, and it might be long.
  • Pink Brain, Blue Brain by Lise Eliot. Ditto.
  • Blood Memories, by Barb Hendee. This will be a fast read when I get to it, so I keep it around in case I get time.
  • Alex and Me, Irene Pepperberg. This fit in my pocket on my way out to the movies, so I started it.
  • Stormbreaker, by Anthony Horowitz. I thought I couldn't renew this, so I read half of it, and then I renewed it. Off the hot burner!
  • Blaze of Memory, by Nalini Singh. I'm not actually expecting to like this, so I put it in my other pocket but mostly read Alex & Me while waiting for the movie to start. Hey, doesn't everyone take two books with them to the movies?
  • Huntress (anthology). I read the story by the person I recognize. Now I am honor-bound to read the others. Sometime. In the nearish future, but not today.
Next week I'll peek at all my books that I wish I were reading but not making progress on until this leetle library problem is resolved.

One last list: Books I Have Finished This Week.
  • A Touch of Dead (Sookie short stories), Charlaine Harris
  • Unwind, Neal Shusterman
  • Does My Head Look Big in This?, Randa Abdel-Fattah
  • The Lacuna, Barbara Kingslover
  • Black Angels, Linda Beatrice Brown
  • Rampant, Diana Peterfreund
  • Chalice of Roses (anthology)
  • Academy 7, Anne Osterlund
  • Sunshine, Robin McKinley (from my shelves, a comfort reread) (FOR BOOKCLUB)
  • Caught By the Sea, Gary Paulsen
So, four YA books, two kidlit, two fantasy, a Romance anthology, and a Real Novel. It says so right on Kingsolver's book -- The Lacuna, A Novel. I don't think I'm winning any intellectual awards this week, but the pile is smaller than before.

No comments: