Sunday, June 5, 2011

Book 7: Life at the Edge and Beyond

Life at the Edge and BeyondBook 7 is an Aspergers book that I found, although now I forget whether it was recommended or just showed up in the library catalog under Subject: Asperger's Syndrome.  I've been reading different books about this kind of autism to give myself some perspective on my son, and Jan Greenman's memoir, Life at the Edge and Beyond: Living with ADHD and Asperger Syndrome gives that by describing her own experience with a boy dealing with his own bundle of labels.  Her son had a much more challenging time of it, having a more difficult time dealing with affection and also having is own set of anxiety disorders to complicate matters, but I could see a lot of similarities between her Luke and my X.


 I read out a few anecdotes to him, and he found them interesting, especially the scene where the mom invites the younger sister to hit Luke back with a hammer, so Luke can learn what it feels like.  Definitely an effective teaching moment was our consensus, although authorities might frown on the resultant concussion. I'm proud of Greenman for including some scenes that show the roughness of their lives.

No comments: