Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Lucky For Some: Simply Irresistible

Simply IrresistibleJill Shalvis is a believer in having your cake and eating it too, which justifies her decision to become a romance writer.  Everyone is guaranteed a Happy Ever After, and any door that closes just enables a giant picture window with a wonderful view to open.  At least, that was the case in Simply Irresistible (A Lucky Harbor Novel), the book I read for Take a Chance Challenge #6.  I went to BookSeer.com after finishing a Jennifer Crusie book, and the all-seeing internet site sent me to Shalvis and Lucky Harbor.

I have to agree with the connection.  While Crusie's humor and touch are lighter, Shilvas's characters are  also funny or at least witty even during catastrophe or (worse) humiliation, keeping the tone upbeat even during the downturns in the plot.  The man-interest is smart, sexy, and good with tools, a winning way to any woman's heart.  The sisters are quirky but clearly have deep love buried under their flighty ways, and also will not abandon our heroine because we know that they have to stick around to have books of their own.  There isn't much suspense, but there aren't many distasteful passages of stupidity either.  A decent beach read, although not enough for me to seek out her other books. I'd read them if they were in my beach condo, though. B-

No comments: