Thursday, June 9, 2011

I'm Getting Lost: Tiassa


Steven Brust's Dragaera books provide a delectable spread of dishes, each building on the other in interesting ways.  The problem is that I was born too soon, so that I read many of the books as they came out, and now my aged brain cannot keep track of everything that is going on. (I think even Brust needs to do research on himself sometimes).

The latest book, Tiassa (Vlad Taltos), was a fun read,but I think I'll enjoy even more the next time I read it.  Obviously it is time for a complete reread of the Vlad books, probably accompanied by Jo Walton's reviews at Tor.com. In the meantime, I enjoyed the book as a set of short stories, but while the last section worked as a tinkling comedy of manners, I also recognized the shadows of previous events that I knew I had forgotten.  When I reread this one as part of the whole cycle, I will enjoy watching things slide into place.  It's a fun book for amateur Vlad fans such as myself, but I bet it's even better for people with less feeble memories. B

Thanks to my brother for lending me the book.  And for lending me all the other ones sometime this summer, as I hope he does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rereading the series seems like a lot to do to help the book, but it is a fun series.