Monday, February 20, 2012

Heading Into Mid-Winter Break

I am almost done with a bunch of books, but managed to finish very little, mostly books for the Cybils challenge, which got a boost from me by announcing the winners!  I did look at them, but then I forced myself to forget all the winners so I can finish reading them all without undue influence.

This is the meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.  What I read, what I'm reading, and a peek at what I'll read next, where I check up on my reading patterns for the previous week.

This week I finished four Cybils books, a Reading My Library choice, and an audio book:
  • The Friendship Doll, Kirby Larson. BOOK.  Cybils Middle Grade Fiction.
  • Into the Unknown, Stewart Ross. Cybils Nonfiction.
  • Stupid Fast, Geoff Herbach.  Cybils YA Fiction.
  • Ghetto Cowboy, G. Neri.  Cybils Middle Grade Fiction.
  • Operation Redwood, S. Terrell French. I'll pass this RML choice onto my son.
  • Enchanted Glass, Diana Wynne Jones.  Audio.  Actually it's still in the car, but I skipped ahead.
I'm showing fifteen books on my currently reading list, but it's not as bad as it looks. None of them occupy any of the same space in my brain. It's always interesting to see what I put on my TBR list, and the RML (reading my library) books give me choices I might not have found otherwise.
  • Christmas Angel, Jo Beverly.  My librarything Santa present.  There is an assassin out there.
  • Anya's Ghost.  Vera Brosgol. Cybils GN finalist; my son says it is spooky.
  • Making Our Democracy Work, Stephen Breyer.  Supreme Court Justice on the supreme court, which I found on the library's Pick Me shelf before Christmas.
  • The Porcupine Year, Louise Erdrich.  Migration story. RML.
  • Claudette Colvin, Philip M. Hoose.  Stayed on the bus before Rosa Park. TBR
  • Orbital Resonance, John Barnes.  I think Jo Walton recommended this coming-of-age-in-space book, and it's a fun member of that genre. TBR.
  • Among Others, Jo Walton.  Re-reading and enjoying it even more than the first time.
  • Girl of Fire and Thorns, Rae Carson. NOOK.  Cybils YA finalist.  I wish I didn't know the husband dies, because I quite like him.
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice. Laurie King. (reread). Audio book when kids aren't in the car. Too long for my taste, though.  I also got the paperback so I can read it inside.
  • Smart But Scattered, Peg Dawson & Richard Guare.  How to know when you or your kid has a problem.  I think I'll put books I read for parenting in the finish-a-book slot.
  • The Same Stuff as Stars, Katherine Paterson. Gramma is grumpy about mom's departure.
  • The First Men In the Moon, H.G. Wells.  Violent escape from moon-creatures.
  • Traveling Mercies, Anne Lamott. Honest portrayals of complex family relationships.
  • The End of Racism, Dinesh D'Souza.  He's leaning towards genetic racial differences.
  • Honored Enemy, Raymond Feist & William R Forstchen. Two enemies must face a greater foe.
What will I read next? I've got a shelf full of Cybils books waiting (poor library hold management), a small handful of library books left from the beginning of the year, and the (refreshed) reading my library pile. And all the books in my unread book case that I keep hoping I'll start reading.  I thinking March will be the time to really concentrate on books in my home, and also leave me in a comfortable place, library shelf-wise.  The TBR Dare is still on, despite horrible temptations in two libraries.

Challenges:
  1. Cybils: 29/80.  I finished all the Easy Readers, should write them up.
  2. Global Reading Challenge: 3/21.  Now complete with fancy graphics!
  3. What's In a Name?: 5/6.  Still need a topological feature. The year is young.
  4. Where Am I Reading?:  10/50. February quota done. 
  5. TBR Double Dare.  9. All library this week.
  6. Science Book Challenge: 1.14/3.14159.  Cybils Picture books for the fractions.
  7. Reading My Library: Got the next batch.  I should keep a list of these, maybe.

No comments: