Monday, March 15, 2010

Hiatus Interrupted: Open Book Sunday


Luckily for me, if you live with a crisis long enough, you soon stop hearing the warning sirens. So I am comfortable with my reading pile, although I would like to read some non-library books again someday. Soon.

Also, this week my blog was cursed -- every day I could break my internet connection by clicking on "new post." So sadly, no one has heard of the pages briskly turning around here. I even missed A-Z Wednesday, despite reading 1.5 E books. Maybe I'll try to double post this week. Also, my son found my lost library book, although I keep forgetting to turn it in. So everything seems rosy.

So, I have many of my own books with bookmarks, but they all still doomed to the bottom shelf while I scurry about with due dates. I am actively reading:
  • Enigma, by C.F. Bentley. This is the 2nd in a series, and my first by this author. Time to sign up for some challenges! I read half of this last Wednesday, on E day.
  • Spellbent, by Lucy A. Snyder. This was for a book club last month, but I forgot to unfreeze my library hold. So far I'm not too impressed
  • Blaze of Memory, by Nalini Singh. Still don't think I'll like this one. The main attraction between the lovers is that they are attracted to each other, mysteriously since they aren't even polite.
  • Positive Discipline, by Jane Nelsen. Got to keep up with my homework. We got to skip a week for illness, but now I'm behind again.
  • How to Teach Physics To Your Dog, Chad Orzel.
  • Wintergirls, Laurie Halse Anderson. Famous book. Very depressing. I'm near the end, so I've ground to a halt, but I peeked at the end to see who lived.
One last list: Books I Have Finished This Week:
  • Space Captain Smith, by Toby Frost. I grabbed this from the new release shelf because it looked like every space opera cliche rolled into a book. And that is what it is delivering.
  • So Totally Emily Ebers, Lisa Yee. Found it! Third view of the summer these kids met. Fun twist on point of view.
  • Alex and Me, Irene M. Pepperberg. A woman and her parrot. Or was it the other way around?
  • The Year of the Bomb, Ronald Kidd. Kidlit.
  • Enemy Spy (Shredderman #4). Wendelin Van Draanen. For E day.
  • Attack of the Taggerman (Shredderman #2). Van Draanen. Hey, another #2!
  • Meet the Gecko (Shredderman #3). Van Draanen. After I read #4, I had to quickly catch up. This inspired my third grader to read them all as well, only he did it in order.
  • Taken, by Norah McClintock. These are YA books written at a kidlit reading level, but McClintock tells a good story. I liked the twist at the end.
So, a memoir, an SF book, and seven kidlit. But I've also pushed ahead in many of the books due this week. And we found the missing book! And the missing video! But not the missing CD. It is so awful that I feel it would be good karma if I pay to have it removed from the library system. Modern rock Christmas songs on the glockenspiel (for innocent children). Yes, "We Are the World" can be made worse.

I hope everyone had a good PI day.

No comments: