Friday, March 5, 2010

Light Library Bag


Well, I turned in a bagful of books and stuff, and I came out with a light load. Yay! I'm not sure it's in time to save me, though.

Meanwhile, my hold shelf offered up:
  • Quatrain, Sharon Shinn
I then browsed the picture books, looking for another book from my recommended lists, and found
  • The Three Bears, Paul Galdone (hidden in the folk tales section)
  • The Wolves in the Walls, Neil Gaiman (recommended as the scariest picture book ever by bookiewookie.blogspot.com)
  • Divine Misdemeanors, Laurell K. Hamilton. I think this is the latest in her Fairie Princess series. I expect it to be awful. It was on the new book shelf at the local library, a dying breed since the amalgamation went through. The county library is all about the hold lists; much less serendipity on the front shelves. (This is not a picture book.)
Total Books from Library Elf (counting all the kid stuff that I'm legally responsible for even if I hope not to read it): 76. Stuff on my cards: 70.

I'll go sign up for Library Loot this week. That's a weekly event hosted in turns by Eva's A Striped Armchair (this week's host) and Marg's Reading Adventures where bloggers can share their library finds of the week. Some of them make me look restrained.

6 comments:

NatalieSap said...

As much as I love requesting books, I know what you mean about less browsability. Have to go to the bookstore for that!

Eva said...

Go you! I'm up at around 70 books out right now, and I'm desperately trying to read them as fast as possible to justify it. lol

Kristen said...

Wow! You've really pared down. I noticed the other day when I was returning my sole library book (I'm feeling smug typing that but I know you know me well enough to know that is not an accomplishment at all) that there are new release shelves and sneakily positioned right next to them are the "rental" books. I think these are the newest of the new and you actually have to pay for them. See why I am a bookstore junky? I actually get to keep the books I shell out money for! ;-)

Beth said...

One of my libraries in California did rental books, for the newest of the new. I don't like the feeling of pressure, which somehow I don't feel even if I keep a book a few days late and run up the fine. Go figure.

The city library puts new books on a shorter loan period and shelves them up front. It's really fun browsing them; I love the thrill of discovery. But after the assimilation they can't have their quirks. It makes sense financially, but still takes some of the charm out of the world.

Vasilly said...

Happy reading!

Marg said...

People have been recommending Sharon Shinn to me for the longest time! One day I will actually read her. Enjoy your loot.