Well, my first mini-goal is accomplished -- all my library books fit in the library shelf; there is no precarious extra stack teetering on top. Only a few books come due each week. I may actually start reading books from my TBR book case, which is also overflowing and surrounded by piles of books.
I'm staying up late reading a few books, but that's because they are from my kid's school, and therefor due tomorrow. Probably
would have been a good idea to read them over spring break.
This weekend I didn't really finish anything, but I did spend a lot of time skimming through Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan books. I had pulled one out for X to bring along on his spring break, but he forgot it, so I read a bit, and this reminded me of this other bit in this other book, which sent me around to see how that theme was reinforced in two other books, and so a weekend was enjoyably lost. Bujold is like that. This is a deeply satisfying series. And somewhere in reading about all these competent honorable people, I did my taxes.
- Scorpia, Anthony Horowitz (due tomorrow). Alex Rider joins the bad guys!
- Hanging Out With Cici, Francine Pascal, for a challenge
- Your Inner Fish, Neil Shubin. Paleontologist looks at what fossils say about you. Well, about me.
- Smart But Scattered, Peg Dawson. Actually, I like this enough that I'm returning my borrowed copy and getting my own so my kids and I can write all over the exercises. I think we all need some executive function boosts.
- And Falling, Fly, Skyler White. Paranormal by a friend of a friend; looks good.
- The Prisoner, Carlos Cortez. They got out of the sewers, thank goodness. I was getting squeamish.
- How To Teach Physics To Your Dog, Chad Orzel. My cat thinks the dog is a doofus. Why chase a rabbit when canned food comes to you?
- Pioneer Woman Cooks, Ree Drummand. I'll read this slowly in the hopes of cooking some recipes.
- Enchanted Glass, Diana Wynne Jones. The postman hid this at my side door, so I didn't find it for days after delivery. Humph!
One last list: Books I Have Finished This Week.
- Kris Longknife: Undaunted. Mike Shepherd. These books may be taking themselves too seriously, which would be a mistake.
- When You Reach Me, Rebecca Stead. Nice little book that won the Newbery.
- Nasty Stinky Sneakers, Eve Bunting. Worst contest ever! Funny book.
- Son of the Mob: Hollywood Hustle, Gordon Korman. Cute, but the concept doesn't really stretch to two books.
- Echo in the Bone, Diane Gabaldon. I'm not so invested in the characters anymore, which is good because most of the plots are left hanging. Smooth read.
- NurtureShock, Po Bronson & um. Freakonomics for parents.
- Chameleon, Charles R. Smith. Raunchier and rawer boy coming into puberty book.
- Eagle Strike, Anthony Horowitz. Alex Rider on his own.
- Muslim Child, Rukhsana Khan. Short stories showing each of Islam's pillar through the lives of Muslim children.