Saturday, April 10, 2010

Tesser Well: When You Reach Me


The latest Newbery winner is When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead. This is a book about New York, about kids who understand time travel and kids who don't, about friendship and about winning game show strategies. It has many short chapters with intriguing titles, and feels like a very cosy read most of the time, with small worries and small puzzles, although the final confrontation ratchets up the adrenaline a bit. I really enjoyed it, although I'm not sure all kids would. The aftertaste was refreshing and clear.

I do think it is interesting that the protagonist isn't the brightest kid on the block, although she is friends with the kids who are. And she loves a book (a book I also endorse -- L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time) but she doesn't love reading. But I forgive her. A-

No comments: