Friday, January 7, 2011

Good Clean Fun: Ruins of Gorlan


The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan has been out for several years, and finally, at the recommendation of the elementary school librarian, I picked it up and had a very nice time with The Ruins of Gorlan (The Ranger's Apprentice, Book 1).  There is a small group of orphans raised together, although we only really care about the two boys who learn how to fight -- Will, the ranger, and Horace, the warrior apprentice.

Both boys have strenuous apprenticeships where they learn important things about life and friendship, and then Will goes on to an adventure that starts the war that will kick off the series.  Nothing is very surprising, but the prose is solid and the characters endearing.  I'll pass it around to my 6th and 4rth grade boys, and I'll go looking for the next ones in the series.  B

By the way, I'm working along in MotherReader's comment challenge -- I got my five comments yesterday and I'm on track for today.

2 comments:

Beth G. said...

I've been on the fence about checking out the RANGER'S APPRENTICE series, since so many other books keep pushing their way to the front of the queue. One of these days, I'll have to give it a chance, I think.

Beth said...

I was glad I did -- I've been on the fence too. The special cheap edition of the first book finally sold me -- I grabbed it for travel reading.