Monday, January 31, 2011

Where Are You Reading Challenge?

I have already learned something with this challenge -- how to make my own little google map.  I'm so excited!

Book Journey is hosting the 2011 Where Are You Reading Challenge to read your way around the United States.  The idea is to read a book about (or set in) each of the fifty states.  Which has immediately set me off to reading books set in imaginary worlds or invented places, but I'm sure I'll come around.

So far I can only find two books I've read this year from real places that I can identify; the others are either unspecified or in fairy land or otherwise not available to google maps.  For example, did anyone who read American Born Chinese notice where the boy grew up? The first few pages were in San Francisco, but then they moved to somewhere... And I've got another book set in Canada, which is awfully unspecific.

Anyway, so far I've got Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho,  Illinois, Indiana, IowaKansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine,  Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnisota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, NebraskaNevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New MexicoNew York, North CarolinaNorth DakotaOhio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina Texas, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia,  Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming for the states, with England and Canada also appearing.

I still need South Dakota (High Planes Tango).  I am accepting recommendations for books set in these states!

Luckily I'm reading more books!  Like the one set in a far future space station.  Hmm.  Or the one in an imaginary town with vampires, location unknown.  Or the one set in the land of ghosts.  This challenge may be harder than I thought.

Here is my map:

View Book Trip in a larger map

1 comment:

Birgit said...

Yup, Google needs to work on those interstellar maps....Mine tend to range between England, Pern, and fairyland :)