Monday, May 7, 2012

Not Much To Report

Every week Sheila at Book Journey invites people to report on what they read, what they are reading, and what they will read. I'm not very good at knowing what I'll read next, but I usually keep track of what I read and what I'm reading.

Also, at Teach Mentor Texts they do another roundup that concentrates on children's books. That includes all my audio listening this week, as well as one lonely YA. I didn't actually finish much this week.

I finished three books:
  • Misfit, Jon Skovron. Cybils YA.
  • The President's Vampire, Christopher Farnsworth. Horror.
  • Dead Reckoning, Charlaine Harris. Reread, paranormal.
We also went through several audio books, all kidlit:
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, Jeanne Birdsall.
  • Escape to Witch Mountain, Alexander Key
  • Ghetto Cowboy, G. Neri
I'm at a ridiculous 20 19 (finished one!) books for my currently reading list, but that's mainly because I'm not liking the book I absolutely have to finish, so I keep sneaking off and starting other things. Three different kids have three different stories going in the car, requiring delicate judging on instances when I'm accompanied by more than one passenger. Plus the book with adult language that I listen to when alone in the car.


I have to say, everyone is really liking the audio book kick we are on. I'm choosing them so the older kids enjoy the younger stories, since their books get priority. The only hold-out is N, who claims that listening to the radio gives him a headache, unless he picks the station. He actually picked the Witch Mountain book, but changed his mind when he saw how popular it was.  Remembering what track we are on for each book is a bit difficult, though.
  • Blood Red Road, Moira Young. (Cybils). I'm not enjoying this, but I shouldn't read anything else until it is done, because it is overdue.
  • Bunheads, Sophie Flack. (Cybils). This isn't due yet, so I put it back on the shelf.
  • The Galacteran Legacy: Galaxy Watch, Michelle Izmaylov. (RML) The Earth is doomed!
  • The Know-It-All, A.J. Jacobs. A-C. He is getting smarter.
  • The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance, Elna Baker. She's fat but she's still a woman. 
  • The Wives of Henry Oades, Johanna Moran. From the TBR list.  Husband gives up on wife #1 and moves to California.
  • Where Things Come Back, John Corey Whaley. The brother just disappeared.
  • Sugar Changed the World, Marc Aronson & Marina Budhos. For Best of Best challenge.
  • Angelfall, Susan Ee. NOOK. (Cybils) I should put this on my son's NOOK. 
  • Smart But Scattered, Peg Dawson & Richard Guare.  Where to start to fix things.
  • The Same Stuff as Stars, Katherine Paterson. More death. Angel never gets a break.
  • Honored Enemy, Raymond Feist & William R Forstchen.  Backstory is kind of dull.
  • Knight of a Trillion Stars, Dara Joy. Wow, the alpha-male non-consensual stuff is really unsexy.
  • The Catholic Church in the Modern World, E.E.Y. Hales. Italian history and the pope.
  • Close Range: Wyoming Stories, Annie Proulx. Old guys at lunch in the first story.
  • Earwig and the Witch, Diana Wynne Jones. Audio. Very popular.
  • How They Croaked, Georgia Bragg. Audio. With male fifth grader.
  • The Ring of Solomon, Jonathan Stroud. Audio. With 7th grader.
  • Beauty Queens, Libby Bray. Audio. Just with me. The author reads it, so I know the expression is authentic.
What will I read next? I've made a pile of Best of the Best books next to a comfortable chair. I'm eyeing The Scorpio Races, Jane, and Leverage.

Challenges:
  1. Cybils: 52/73.  Finished Misfit, now on Blood Red Road. 
  2. Global Reading Challenge: 13/21. Asia complete. Still need 5 American books.
  3. What's In a Name?: 5/6. Hey -- Escape to Witch Mountain counts!
  4. Where Am I Reading?:  17/50. Need to review Massachusetts (I've read three), Montana, Utah, Oregon, and Oklahoma books. And finish the Vermont, Arkansas and Wyoming books. I'm falling behind, but catching up on reviews would fix that.
  5. Science Book Challenge: 1.141/3.14159. Still no science.
  6. Reading My Library:  Falling behind again.
  7. Eclectic Challenge: 7/10. Well, 8, but I need to review one. Need a mystery book now.
  8. Best of the Best: 7/25. I'm pretty much doomed, but it gives me an excuse to bury myself in books. Maybe the 48 hour Reading Challenge will save me.

6 comments:

Kellee said...

Don't give up on Where Things Come Back or Blood Red Road. They both are great. Blood Red took a while for me to get used to the style of writing while Where Things is just a slow, beautiful book.

Happy reading this week! :)

The Brunette Librarian said...

Are you ready for summer reading? It's coming up soon. I think I'm ready but who knows, whew. I can't believe its already here!

Happy reading this week :)
What are YOU reading??

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Are you listening to all the books on your list at once? I love listening to audioboks but I only do one at a time.

Hannahlily said...

So many good books on your lists! I especially loved the audiobooks for Blood Red Road and Beauty Queens. I hope you get to Leverage soon, I thought it was very powerful.

Bibliosaurus Text said...

I really want to read The President's Vampire. I also love the Charlaine Harris books! Hope you enjoy your new reads :-)

Unknown said...

I remember seeing the Escape to Witch Mountain movie when I was growing up...the original, not the reboot, lol.