Monday, September 24, 2012

Reading Story

I've continued reading my plethora of books, although I let myself stick with anything I'm enjoying until I want to move on. The big reading event for me was attending FOOLSCAP, my favorite conventions, since it's about books. Well, books, art, and fancy hats.

Technically I don't read much during Foolscap, but I do talk a lot about reading and also pick up a bunch of books as well as a bunch of titles that I'd like to read. This time I even got to host my own panel, which was a little scary but also fun (Breaking the Rules -- what books break the rules of fiction/genre, and more important, which of these books are wonderful?). And I was on a panel about polite disagreement, during which I terrified the room by pretending not to believe in vaccination (as an example of someone holding a belief not supported by science, but I thought it was too crazy for people to take me seriously).

I'll go check in with Book Journey's weekly round-up of what everyone has read, is reading, and will read, and then, since most of my selections are children's books, I'll also check in with the kidlit version at Teach Mentor Texts. I still haven't got back into the swing of reviewing these books, so I'm afraid I'm a rather dull entry to both these lists, but I'm trying to jump back on the horse. In a mixed-metaphor kind of way, of course.

  • Dark Destiny, M.J. Putney (YA)
  • Unclaimed, Courtney Milan (Romance, NOOK)
  • The Azalea Assault, Alyse Carlson (Mystery)
  • The Far West, Patricia C. Wrede (YA)
What am I currently reading?
  • The Curse of the Wendigo, Richard Yancy. (audio) Argh, at least they are traveling towards some action now.
  • Team Human, Sarah Rees Brennan & Justine Larbalestier. Rats in the school! Ick! My copy.
  • Tales From Silver Lands, Charles Finger. Kids helping each other stories. Summer leftover.
  • Phoenix In Flight, Sherwood Smith & Dave Trowbridge. (NOOK). The space battles continue. My copy.
  • Unveiled, Courtney Milan. (NOOK) The first in the trilogy; I've read them in reverse order. Library book.
  • Elfhome, Wen Spencer. (NOOK, reread) Kidnapped!
  • Fire, Kristen Cashore. (reread) Fire is enjoying the capital.
  • Foiled, Jane Yolen. From my TBR list. I like the graphics.
  • Eternal Pleasures, Nina Bangs. For Felicia Day's book club.
  • Inside Out and Back Again, Thanhha Lai. Book in verse.
  • Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith, Deborah Heiligman. Interesting biography.
  • Close Range, Annie Proulx. Dipping book. I'm tense with expecting things to end badly.
  • The Borrowers Afield, Mary Norton. Another dipping book. The plot is about to start.
  • The Catholic Church in the Modern World, E.E.Y. Hales. Interesting to read about America from outside.
  • Honored Enemy, Raymond Feist. The girl helps fight off the bad guys.
  • Smart But Scattered, Peggy Dawson. Currently on building emotional regulation. Good stuff.
  • Kushiel's Dart, Jacqueline Carey. Paused.
Challenges:
  1. Cybils: 66/73. No change. Nominees for next year's books start soon.
  2. Global Reading Challenge: 15/21. At least Tales From Silver Lands is set in South America. 
  3. Where Am I Reading?:  35/50. I bought a Tennessee book this weekend.
  4. Science Book Challenge: 3.1415/3.14159. 
  5. Reading My Library:  Have on in my bag.
  6. Eclectic Challenge: 10/12. No change.
  7. Best of the Best: 31/25. No change.

1 comment:

kmitcham said...

Polite disagreement seems lost to society. They should make kids practice it in school or something.