Monday, March 28, 2011

Status Report:

On Monday Sheila at Book Journey asks about how the reading week went -- what people read, what they are reading, what they will read.  It's a good chance to see if any trends are developing.

What did I read?
  • Bird, by Angela Johnson.  
  • Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice #3), John Flanagan.  Reading along with my sixth grader.
  • The Dead Boys, Royce Buckingham.  A Cybils middle grade finalist.
  • Mercury, Hope Larson.  A Cybils YA graphic novel.
  • The Widow and the King, John Dickinson.  Rather grim middle grade medieval fantasy book.
  • Don't Say a Word, by Gehrts.  Historical fiction about WWII.
  • The Global-Warming Deception, by Grant R. Jeffrey.  A religious text that claimed to be science.
  • Silver Borne, by Patricia Briggs.  Re-read, because the next one is out soon.
What trends do I see? I don't read many books shelved on the right (adult) side of the library.  This is not even counting the picture books I read for the Cybils challenge:
  • Dinosaur Mountain, by Deborah Kogan Ray.  Nonfiction book about the Utah fossil field.
  • Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night, by Joyce Sidman.  Nature poems.
  • Shark Vs Train, by Chris Baron.  The battle of the ages!
Right now I'm reading: 
  •  In the Dark of Dreams, by Marjorie M. Liu.  Because she writes crazy fun books.
  • The House on the Strand, by Dapne Du Maurier, recommended by a friend
  • Thendara House, Marion Zimmer Bradley, from my TBR piles
  • Territory, Emma Bull (vacation book)
  • Hammered, Elizabeth Bear (vacation book)
  • Bad Prince Charlie, John Moore (vacation book)
  • Interior Life, Katherine Blake (vacation book)
  • Glass Harmonica, Louise Marley (vacation book)
  • The Rogue's Return, Jo Beverly (vacation book)
  • The Hob's Bargain, Patricia Briggs (vacation book)
  • Flying Solo Ralph Fletcher (borrowed by a kid, now returned)
  • The Privilege of the Sword Ellen Kusher. (I'm scared about what will happen, so I'm reading very slowly)
In my challenge shelf I have some books pulled from the bibliography of Borrowed Names up next.  My library pile has Scarlet Pimpernel on top, and then probably the next Ranger Apprentice book. I'll probably grab some kidlit from my TBR piles, since it goes quickly and I need some shelf space back in that bookcase.

What are the statuses of my challenges? Great, I tell you, just great. Quick stats:
A-Z: 20/52
Cybils: 28/76.  I finished all the Early Readers!
Michigan: 1/2
Read World: 3/20.  My Canadian author turned out to be an expatriate American, curse the luck.
Stream: 2/3
Take Chance: .5  I've started the book recommended by a loved one.  Hi Birgit!
20/11: 5/20.  But some of the books I haven't reviewed yet should fit in.
What Name: 3/6
Where Am I Reading: 11  I've added Alabama and Kentucky.

2 comments:

Sharon Galligar Chance said...

Interesting list! Happy Reading!

Jennifer said...

Wow, I am impressed with how many books you read and are currently reading. Enjoy! My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/03/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-32.html