Monday, May 16, 2011

Mock My Pain: Pop! The Invention of Bubble Gum

I can't chew gum without risking damage to my jaw; I have a light case of TMJ, or a weak ligament in my mouth.  Normally this isn't a problem; I bring hard candy on planes instead of Trident, and I say "no thanks" when nice people offer me sticks.  Sometimes I miss it though, for example when reading the Cybil  Nonfiction Picture Book finalist Pop! The Invention of Bubble Gum by Meghan McCarthy.

My fourth grader read this to me, enjoying the simple rhythms and bright colors of the pages. I enjoyed watching the Edisonian efforts of Walter Diemer, former accountant, to achieve the holy grail of gum -- elasticity on bubble-blowing scale.  The pictures happily backed up the text, but rarely gave new insights into the facts.  They did help set a pleasant, optimistic tone, and the final page of gum facts was fun and informative.  B

(The link should benefit the Cybils committee.)

No comments: