Monday, June 4, 2012

Back on Monday on Monday!

I have another new plan for controlling my reading -- I'm only starting one new book a day. Unless I'm not reading anything, of course; if I run out of book I'll probably relax this rule. Right now that doesn't seem to be a concern, and I keep picking up books but not quite finishing them.

Well, I did finish a handful of books this week:
  • Big Nate and Friends
  • The Case of the Horrified Heirs (book club selection)
  • Sidekicks (Cybils)
  • Gabriel's Ghost  (Felicia Day's book club pick)
  • Mary Ingalls On Her Own (Reading My Library book)
All of these are books I picked up this week, so everything I still had bookmarks in last week is still unfinished! You see the need for my new rule.


What am I still reading? At least I have actually been reading most of them, even if not productively:
  • Angelfall, Susan Ee. NOOK. (Cybils) This disappeared from my NOOK for a while, but now it's back. Odd.
  • Wanderlust, Ann Aguirre. NOOK. Second in Jax series and good clean fun. Well, maybe a bit smutty.
  • Willie Mays, The Life, The Legend, James S. Hirsch. Still lost in the mystery of my house.  Dang.
  • Shattered Bonds, Dorothy Roberts. X found this! Somehow I put it down in the closet of the playroom. I don't remember going in there, but it's back, so I can read it now.
  • Angel's Flight, Nalini Singh. I've finished two stories, read the third in another anthology, and am enjoying the fourth.
  • Scorpio Races, Maggie Stiefvater. This is for the Best of the Best Challenge, but I like the characters and I don't think good things are going to happen to them. So I've only read a few pages.
  • The Galacteran Legacy: Galaxy Watch, Michelle Izmaylov. (RML) I still find the plot very awkward, although I know it didn't bother my seventh grader at all.
  • Bunheads, Sophie Flack. (Cybils). Her career is picking up, which means her social life isn't.
  • Infamous Scribblers, Eric Burns. I've done Ben Franklin and Zengler in my colonial news printers chapter.
  • Smart But Scattered, Peg Dawson & Richard Guare.  Making plans -- for waking up, heading for school, etc.
  • The Same Stuff as Stars, Katherine Paterson. Nothing is so bad that a social worker can't make it worse.
  • Honored Enemy, Raymond Feist & William R Forstchen.  Nemesis has backstory.
  • Knight of a Trillion Stars, Dara Joy. Isn't it hot when he literally rips her clothes off? Wait, no, because she's trying to get away.
  • The Catholic Church in the Modern World, E.E.Y. Hales. Pope looks bad when he condemns liberalism.
  • Close Range: Wyoming Stories, Annie Proulx. Wow, are all the stories depressing?
  • The Penderwicks at Point Mouette, Jeanne Birdsall. Audio. Moose watch.
  • Young Fredle, Cynthia Voight. Audio. Uh oh, raccoons. Fifth grader is liking it.
  • The Ring of Solomon, Jonathan Stroud. Audio. With 7th grader. CD 2. We do love the narrator.
  • Beauty Queens, Libby Bray. Audio. This is great! CD 9.  Nine sounds negative, but it's really positive!
Since last week ended on Tuesday, this week lost a few days, so it should be easier for me to check in with the meme that Book Journey does, where everyone notes what they read, are reading, and intent to read. Teach Mentor Texts echos this with a concentration on children's books, which is good for me since that's most of what I read this week.

What will I read next? I've got a pile of Best of the Best books next to a comfortable chair, and maybe I can read 8 more in the next month. Hmm.  I'm eyeing  Jane, Bronxwood, and Leverage. I have to read a Wimpy Kids book for the school book club, and I also need to get back to work on the Cybils challenge.

Challenges:
  1. Cybils: 56/73.  Finished Feynman.
  2. Global Reading Challenge: 13/21. No change.
  3. Where Am I Reading?:  19/50. I read an Iowa, so there's another review waiting.
  4. Science Book Challenge: 1.141/3.14159. No change, but a qualified book is out from the library.
  5. Reading My Library:  Finished one, which is good. On Ks.
  6. Eclectic Challenge: 8/10. Perry Mason book counts as mystery.
  7. Best of the Best: 17/25. I've stalled! Argh!

4 comments:

The Brunette Librarian said...

Happy reading this week :)

What are YOU reading??

Melanie said...

I don't know how you can read more than one book at a time! I can't! :)

Hope you enjoy your books! :)

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm tempted by Scorpio Races, but continue to hesitate, for some reason.

Here's my
It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
I'd love to have you stop by!

Jessica said...

I have to keep myself to just one book too. I've got a stack of half-finished books on my bedside table because I let myself start new books without finishing the old ones. Enjoy your reading!