Friday, April 1, 2011

Done Sci-Fi, Now Fantasy

Well, I did Stainless Steel Dropping's Sci-Fi challenge, and now I'm signing up for the matching one, the Once Upon a Time fantasy challenge.  This one is a bit more elaborate, with actual goals to sign up for.  He divides up the section into fantasy, fairy tales, folklore, and mythology.  In the higher levels, you have to promise to read in them all, but since I'm all about the easy path I'll go in at Quest the First, where I'll just try to read five books that fit somewhere in there.  The challenge runs through June 20th, so I have almost three months left, which should be easy enough.

There's also a third quest, which is to read or watch or listen to A Midsummer's Night Dream sometime in June, which I hope I also remember to do, but that's a long time from now.

I just started the first book, so I'll go ahead and commence the list:
  1. River Marked, Patricia Briggs (folklore/mythology)
  2. Kings of the North, Elizabeth Moon (fantasy)
  3. The Princess and the Penis (fairy tale)
  4. Mirror, Mirror, Marilyn Singer (fairy tale)
  5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus (folklore)
  6. The Widow and the King (fantasy)
  7. Plain Kate, Erin Bow (folklore)
  8. The Folk Singer, Fanny Billingsley (folklore)
  9. Secrets of the Demon, Diana Rowland (folklore)
  10. Blackout, Rob Thurman (folklore)
  11. A Kiss in Time (fairy tale)
  12. Peter and the Starchasers (fantasy)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yayy! I love this challenge, and I'm loving seeing all the reviews of fairy taley books. :D

Christine said...

I did this one last year and just signed up for this year's version a few days ago. I took on Quest the Third as well... thinking it was about time I read Midsummer Night's Dream. Yikes.