Saturday, April 16, 2011

Magical Meta-Books: We Are In a Book

Mo Willems has a set of easy-reader books about Elephant and Piggy, which I haven't really paid attention to since my kids have learned to read.  N is about the right level for them though, so I was glad when the Cybils Easy Reader finalist list named We Are In a Book to remind me.  This was an excellent introduction to these characters as they suddenly notice they live on pages with word balloons and page numbers.

It's fun when you realize that Piggy isn't looking at something inside the book -- she's looking at you. She achieves the highest form of humor -- telling you the joke, telling the joke, and then making you laugh at the joke. BANANA! And the last joke that only comes the second time you read the book is lovely.

We all loved this book -- X, P, and A. And N even was willing to practice his early reading skills on it, so we got to test it in the field. We unanimously choose it as our favorite Easy Reader book. A+

2 comments:

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oh, I didn't know that there is a real, true, official shortlist challenge! I'm going to check out your link over in the sidebar! Mo Willems' humor is so subtle (or something$") that my girls don't always get it. For the record, though, they LOVE Knuffle Bunny.

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I also meant to say thanks so much for visiting my blog!