Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Free Fable For My Nook: The Princess and the P----

I got a Nook! My sister gave it to me for my birthday, because she is super nice. She's my favorite sister.   brought it home and admired it and called it George. Well, actually I called it Rose winner, after my sons' middle names, but the feeling is there.

Cover image for I'm also cursed with an awful cheapness, because I couldn't get BN.com to recognize my membership, which means I wouldn't get the 10% off. Horrors! I can call tomorrow to fix it, but in the meantime I browsed the free books. When I saw the title "The Princess and the Penis" I remembered it getting a favorable review from somewhere. So I grabbed it. At 91 pages it seemed a good short book to practice reading my Nook. The story follows a princess kept pure of all knowledge of birds and bees (or the frogs and the flies) who starts sleeping badly because of a bump in her rump. The nocturnal nudging (the book delights in any sort of cheap wordplay) is caused by a phantom phallus that challenges her father's beliefs about what girls should know and what is really important in a husband. It's like a combination of The Princess and the Pea and the Princess and the Frog.  Only, you know, with a penis.

Despite the title, the book is more wink wink nudge nudge than racy, certainly far less graphic than most romances. I wouldn't give it to my sixth grader to read; the inner twelve year old of a twelve year old is far too close to the surface.

No comments: