Tuesday, April 5, 2011

More Comics: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus I

One the things I learned in Panel to Panel is that the Buffy comics are not retellings of the TV show, but original tales before, between, or after the episodes.  That sounded a lot more interesting to me, so I ordered one from the library.  The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus collections aren't based on the date published but on relative order within themselves, so volume one happens before Buffy and her family move to Sunnydale.    I recognized some of the stories from panels shared in the retrospective, so I knew about the discussion over whether Dawn (Buffy's retroactive sister) belonged in the stories or not, and how the different artists saw different aspects of the characters.

It was a bit disconcerting to me to have such different styles in the same book, and the stories don't really have internal consistency.  I can see that I'll have to develop a flexible comic brain that allows different stories to exist in parallel, weaving in and out of the "official" events of the series.  But it was fun to see the different takes on the same subject, from the angst and drama of Las Vegas to the silliness of Dawn's Teddy Bear monster.  I'm glad I got steered to this book; looking in the back I find references to Tales of the Vampires so I'll get that one next. B

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I thought this must be the omnibus of the "eighth season", which is canon. I'm less interested in the peripheral comics like this -- I get all anxious trying to make them fit together in a timeline. :p

Beth said...

I can't convince myself to read the Season 8 comics, although I think I'll try Fray. Frey? Whatever.